Hospitals Call For Flu Vaccine for Healthcare Reps

September 6, 2011 at 9:08 pm 16 comments

Effective October 1, 2011: All reps visiting hospitals requiring the influenza vaccine must have proof of their influenza vaccination uploaded into the Vendormate system.

Fortunately, preparations for the 2011-2012 Flu Season are going better than last year.  Last year’s supply shortages meant that the medical community focused on getting the highest risk populations, such as the elderly, vaccinated before supplies ran out.

This year, however, manufacturers are already shipping what looks like a plentiful supply of this seasons vaccine.  With supplies in good shape, hospitals and other medical care providers are expanding their call for nearly every one to get vaccinated. In fact, hospitals in Ohio and in Michigan are requiring the vaccine for most workers, barring religious or documented medical reasons. Non-compliance can lead to discipline or even job loss for these workers.

Hospitals take flu vaccines seriously because influenza /pneumonia are leading causes of death in the U.S. The CDC’s preliminary 2009 mortality figures place influenza / pneumonia as the 8th leading cause of death, causing more than 50,000 deaths that year.  And while the workers at the hospitals may be able to withstand a bout of the flu, they can easily unintentional spread the virus to an already compromised patient who can’t.

These 45 health systems using Vendormate VISION for vendor credentialing currently have flu vaccine requirements in place for healthcare industry representatives in patient care areas.  The requirement is typically annual, in place only during flu season, and has options for those who do not get vaccines for medical or religious reasons. Representatives should log into Vendormate VISION to see what each system requires specifically.

Entry filed under: Immunization Requirements. Tags: , .

Fixin’ To Credential Filling the Gaps in Vendor Credentialing

16 Comments Add your own

• 1. karen adams  |  September 26, 2011 at 11:18 pm

I received my flu shot on 3/1/2011. It is my understanding that the flu shot I received on 3/1/2011 will be the same as the flu shots to be administered in 10/2011. Due to the shot being given on 3/1/2011 my physician is telling me I can not get another flu shot until 3/2012. Is this acceptable to vendormate and the hospitals associated with vendormate? If not, what should I do to be cleared by vendormate?

• 2. vendorcompliance  |  September 26, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Karen — I’ll have one of our credentialing agents look into this and get in touch with you.

• 3. Mike  |  October 19, 2011 at 11:16 pm

I have same issue with flu shot. I recieved mine in Feb 2011 and I am not allowed next one until Feb 2012. What do I do?

• 4. Diane Hedrick  |  October 23, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I had my doctor tell me it is against the law to require a flu shot???

• 5. Michael  |  January 16, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Indiana University Hosp Goshen just fired several RNs for refusing to get flu shot. It is in the news (Google) I suspect you do not have to get the flu shot, but you can be denied admittance.

• 6. vendorcompliance  |  October 24, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Just to keep everyone current, we are working our way up the CDC to get more clarity about their recommendations about annual flu shots. Their current statement is that flu shots are valid for 6 months. As for the legality of the requirement, most of our customers with flu shot requirements allow for an exclusion as long as the un-vaccinated person wears a mask.

• 7. vendorcompliance  |  October 28, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Update: We just got word from the CDC. Basically, the recommendation is one shot per flu season — no per year. There is no minimum time required between vaccines. “A person who received influenza vaccine late in the season last year may receive this year’s vaccine at any time.”

• 8. Jeremiah Kelly  |  December 5, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I don’t believe in flu shots. And if I was afraid of catching the flu wouldn’t you think a hospital would be the last place I would want to be?

• 9. Stephen  |  January 5, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Reptrax offers an opt out for the flu shot. Much better scenario.

• 10. vendorcompliance  |  January 5, 2012 at 9:22 pm

As noted in the post, most hospitals have options for those who do not get vaccines for medical or religious reasons. The final policy is up the hospital. Check with your hospital contacts for options.

• 11. Brent  |  February 27, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Requiring a mask for those who have to opt out due to reactions to the vaccine or religious reasons is intolerant. My position does not require me to be in any direct patient contact whatsoever, and my havintg to wear a mask is coercion. Wearing a mask will put me at a disadvantage to those reps that have no reaction nor religious beliefs that prevent them from taking vaccination.

• 12. dennis allen  |  March 20, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Flu shots have shown to be ineffective and risky. Vaccinations contain lead and other contaminants. The CDC only posts what Big Pharma wants. Vendormate needs an opt out option. Please provide one.

• 13. vendorcompliance  |  March 23, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Vendormate doesn’t select the requirements or policies. Those are defined by the hospital. However, the vast majority of hospitals allow for a declination. Check your accounts for specifics.

• 14. Michael  |  January 16, 2013 at 7:25 pm

See article re nurses being fired for not getting flu shot. Masks not an option in most hospitals here.

• 15. independent sales representative independent sales reps  |  July 27, 2013 at 8:09 am

It’s the body’s main way to detoxify all of the harmful substances that we
    constantly come in contact with, both by what we ingest and by
    way of the byproducts produced in all of the complex
    processes going on in our body at any given time. You arm yourself with your Avon bag full of brochures, samples
    and demos and get ready to charm some strangers into placing an order.
    We felt then, and still do now, that the archery-industry trade show
    put us in front of a whole lot of archery dealers.

• 16. designer handbags  |  August 14, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Not only does it fold up for easy packing, it is also incredibly light.
    It is the light shirt which could transform you from an interviewee towards a cowgirl, within just
    minutes. The Perry Street Noel Normal Bag from the collection of Kate Spade Handbags is a retro looking colorful shoulder tote made from
    calfhair leather accented with boarskin trim.